Historic Sites
NEWView local buildings and sites listed on the local and/or National Historic Register.
Take an interactive tour of many historic sites and photos of early Morgan County.

Pioneer Cabin- In 1857 George Henry Peterson built one of the earliest cabins constructed in the settlement of Weber City (Peterson). It was in this cabin on September 23, 1857 that the first boy was born in the valley to Roswell Stevens and his wife. He was named Charles Russell Stevens. The cabin in which Stevens was born was moved to Morgan City in 1931 and has been preserved by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers. This cabin is located on the courthouse lawn at 31 N. State Street, next to the Daughters of Utah Pioneers building/museum. The cabin is typical of the early pioneer homes in the valley.

The first child born in the valley was Martha Ann Stevens on December 14, 1855. She was also the daughter of Roswell Stevens. However, the exact site of her birth is not known.

Mormon Flat- Located on the improved dirt road between State Road 65 in East Canyon, Morgan County and Jeremy Ranch in Summit County. This area is part of the Pioneer tails trough Morgan County. Go here for more information
1000-Mile Tree- Located in upper Weber Canyon approximately 9 miles east of Morgan City on Interstate 84. The original pine tree at this location was designated The1000-Mile Tree. 1000 miles of track had been laid by the Union Pacific Railroad from Omaha, Nebraska for the Transcontinental Railroad. The original tree was taken out when double track was laid circa 1926. Another tree has been planted and designate along the side of the railroad tracks at this location.

Morgan Opera House- The Morgan Opera House, later the Morgan Theatre and presently The Spring Chicken Inn, was erected in 1906. A group of citizens, realizing the need of the community for a public gathering place, formed a corporation and built the Opera House. The foundation is constructed from limestone quarried at Como Springs. The building is of grey sandstone, quarried in Deep Creek, and trimmed in red sandstone.

The Opera House was originally designed as a two-story building with the lower story being used as a theater with sloping floor leading to a large stage. It also included dressing rooms, a foyer, ticket office and coat-checking room. The upper floor was of hardwood, with the timber trusses of the roof visible. It was designed especially for dancing.

Building the Opera House came at a most beneficial time, to enrich the lives of the adult citizens and fill the educational needs of students until a school gymnasium could be built. The building was used for political and other public gatherings. It was the home of the first motion picture shows in the valley.

In 1924, the ownership was transferred to the LDS Church, and in 1948 it was again sold and converted into a modern theatre. The second floor was removed, the roof lowered, and the face of the building changed. In 1979 the theater closed and the building was again sold and converted to a modern restaurant with the addition of a second-story floor. Even with the major changes the masonry work on the sides still shows the elegance of the original building.

Morgan Stake LDS Tabernacle- One of the oldest existing buildings in Morgan County is the Morgan Stake Tabernacle built soon after the stake was organized in 1877. The cost of the building was $8,000 and built with hard blue limestone rock taken from the quarry above Como Springs. The foundation is 5 feet deep and 3 feet wide with the main chapel 40 feet wide, 80 feet long, and 30 feet to the square. Red pine poles were used for scaffolding braces and planks. As there were no hydraulic lifts at the time. Wheelbarrows were used to convey the rock to the workmen.

The building is considered one of the best pieces of masonry in the state. The stone masons were George Criddle Jr., Henry Rock and Conrad Smith. The first conference was held in the building in May 1882.

The building has been remodeled several times: once after a fire which destroyed the roof and framework in 1893; in 1937 at a cost of $28,000 when an annex was added to the front of the building along with changes to the interior; and again in 1955 when a newly constructed cultural hall was connected to the tabernacle. The original structure can still be identified from the new portions of the building and is located at 10 West Young Street, Morgan City.

Deserter Point-A historic meeting of fur trappers occurred in Mountain Green at a site known as Deserter Point on 23, 24,and 25 May 1825. Three groups from the three centers of the western fur trade including Taos, New Mexico (Etienne Provost and fifteen trappers); American Fur Company (Johnson Gardner and his twenty-five trappers) St. Louis, Missouri; and Hudson’s Bay Port of Fort Vancouver on the Columbia River (Peter Skeen Ogden and his fifty-eight trappers) had penetrated the present-day boundaries of Utah and met on the Weber River in Mountain Green.

Ogden and Gardner argued with each other as to whether Mountain Green was on American or British soil. In reality both men were wrong as they were camped on Mexican soil. The situation between these two leaders created a volatile situation that could have turned into an open confrontation.

Ogden’ men were disgruntled with unsatisfactory pay for their pelts and the exuberant prices they had to pay for their supplies and personal items from the Hudson Bay Company. Gardner offered Ogden’s men more money for their pelts and lower prices for their personal needs. Because of this twenty-three of Ogden’s trappers defected and joined with Gardner’s American Fur Company trappers and took 700 pelts with them. Thus the name Deserters Point was given to the site.

This meeting took place on the East Side of Cottonwood Creek where it flowed from the North into the Weber River. Through the years construction of the railroad and highway have altered the area. The area on the east side of Cottonwood Creek located at a rest stop for west bound travelers of Interstate N 84 at approximately mile marker 95 has been designated a historic site to commemorate this event. Visitors can walk on a trail to the top of a small knoll approximately 60 feet high where a lookout shelter is located. The shelter provides an excellent view of the area where the Trappers campsites were located. A monument is also located at this rest stop.

© 2007 Morgan County Historical Society